Monday, March 18, 2013

From Struggle Comes Strength

When I started yoga, I used to hate the downward facing dog position. It was uncomfortable. It hurt. We did it too much and we held it too long. This was back in December. As time passed I realized that it didn't hurt so much anymore, and it wasn't as uncomfortable...eventually, it actually felt really good...as a matter of fact, it became one if my favorite poses.

Something similar happened in the cardio kickboxing class that I attend. We had to do this exercise called a burpie which is when you squat down with hands your hands touching the floor, jump back into push up position, jump back to that same low squat and then stand up and repeat…down back and up…down back and up. When we were instructed to do burpies  I would suddenly feel the need to adjust my clothing or boxing gloves, or leave the room to get a drink of water. If I didn't do those things I would only do a few burpies taking lots of breaks in between or I would do then in super slow motion...

Then one day I realized that the burpies didn't feel so dreadful anymore. I didn't feel as tired or out of breath. Suddenly, I was able to complete the entire set of burpies without complaint or any of my aversion tactics.

Had the exercises changed? No. I had changed. I was not only able to endure but to master these things that I'd once thought or felt to be impossible....

I had become stronger.

This week I challenge you to examine an area of struggle in your life. I encourage you to go through it instead of trying to get around it and give it some time. Eventually, that struggle is the very thing that will make you stronger. ;)

1 comment:

  1. it works for a while and then I it works for a while and then I fold.

    ReplyDelete