Monday, February 18, 2013

The Balance Between Strength and Surrender



 While in yoga class the other day the instructor was explaining the importance of relaxing the neck and shoulder muscles while in the various poses. She went on to share how as we get stronger, we have a tendency to tense up those muscles. Then she mentioned something quickly and simply that hit me so powerfully, she said, “We have to find the balance between strength and surrender.” Of course this applied to the literal moves that we were doing, but I also realized that this applied to my life. 

Sometimes we tend to be so tough or strong in situations that we tend to “tense up” and stress ourselves out which ultimately leads us to being far less effective. I have been guilty of this in relationships. I try to be so strong to avoid getting hurt, that I end up stressing myself out and missing the beautiful moments that are right in front of me. 

Surrender is not equivalent to weakness. The ultimate truth is that it takes real strength to know when to surrender. We must be strong in order to know when to back off, when to be vulnerable and when it’s time to let go. 

This week I encourage you to think about how this applies to your life. I’ll bet it fits in somewhere for you. Take some time to reflect on why and how your scales of strength and surrender are out of balance then come up with a plan for what you need to do to get them back on track.

No comments:

Post a Comment